Friday 28 September 2012

Apple taking customers for granted

Apple taking customers for granted


Most good companies reward customer loyalty.


Apple has taken innovation to a whole new level and is doing the reverse.

My whole business and household run on Apple products and I have just upgraded to iPhone 5.


Imagine my frustration when the iPhone was not compatible with my Apple computer unless I purchased a software upgrade for the computer (which for all other purposes is not required).


My frustration increased to fever pitch when the Apple support hotline pointed out that a computer was not required to run the iPhone. So while consumers who only have an iPhone can upgrade without extra charges, those loyal consumers using an iPhone in conjunction with an Apple computer are forced to pay.


The Apple customer hotline service manager couldn't see the irony of the situation.


When I suggested that I would write to these columns, the support hotline manager simply said "Good luck".


Good customer service and support attracts customer loyalty. Anyone want to buy an iPhone 5?

David Feehan, Discovery Bay


What a bizarre letter. Some features of iOS 6 require OSX 10.8, but most don't. I quite happily use 10.7 with iOS6 and have had no problems.


And even if you desperately need iCloud tab sharing or some such, the upgrade cost is USD 20, not much when you compare it to the cost of an unlocked iPhone or an iPhone with 2 year contract...